Monday, January 5, 2009

A sad day for horse lovers

Last Thursday my neighbor asked me to bring the uni-loader over to her house to help her get a bale of hay in to her shed so I did. All was going well until I backed up the uni-loader so she could shut the shed door and her horses all butted in to get at the hay and one of her goats jumped up on the uni so I stopped moving so it wouldn't get hurt and Vera was yelling at the horses and waving them away and Jazz, her best horse backed up suddenly and backed right into the teeth on the bucket and punctured a vessel and blood started squirting out and I jumped out of the uni and grabbed a shirt that happened to be on it and put around her injury and told Vera to call the vet. About 1/2 an hour passed by the time she found one that could come to her house and he was on his was to Apple Valley, about an hour away. So we washed the wound and bandaged it as best we could and the vet got there in about 45 minutes. He said that a cut eye in Apple Valley could wait. He checked out Jazz's leg and felt like the tendon had been severed as well and it would take a few days until he was sure. Well today I got the word that Jazz will be put down tomorrow. Oh my gosh I cried like a baby. Of the three horses Vera has Jazz is the best one. Ari (Jazz's mom)is a retired race horse and has bad legs and Toots (Jazz's daughter) isn't broke and has kicked Vera and broke her leg. Jazz is the one I have wanted to have ever since I rode her four years ago. She is the sweetest horse I've ever known. I am so mad at myself for letting her get hurt. I'm really worried about Vera too because her pets are her babies and I'm sure she is taking this hard too. She told me she just wants to go to bed and forget about everything. Her animals are what keep her going, they are what she lives for.

No comments: